Every resident expects a full refund of their deposit. The reality is that this is rarely the case. Most tenants underestimate the time needed to professionally clean their home and prepare it for move-out.
Even when units are returned empty and in good condition, it may still take our oﬃce 2 to 5 days to turn the unit over due to minor maintenance, carpet cleaning, painting and cleaning that still may be needed in your unit. So you should expect to spend a couple of days cleaning it to get it back to its condition as well. In addition, when units aren’t returned to us in their original condition, eﬀectively you are now hiring us to do the work for you and as such you agree to the contractors we use and their prices.
Below is a timeline to help you prepare for move-out:
Approximately 2 weeks before the move out:
- Please provide the post oﬃce and our oﬃce with a forwarding address.
- Contact utility companies to transfer or cancel services. Electric must remain in your name until the date keys are returned to our oﬃce. Do not forget to transfer cable, internet or other related services.
- Clean your home. Start this well in advance. Do not wait until the day the lease expires.
- Make sure these items are replaced or cleaned well before you leave to avoid these simple charges:
- Burned out light bulbs – if ceilings are too high to replace, leave new bulbs on the kitchen counter
- Non-conforming (not similar) light bulbs (all bulbs must be of similar type and 65 watts or less)
- Missing or dead smoke detector batteries – if ceilings are too high to replace, leave new batteries on the kitchen counter – this also goes for light bulbs
- Drip pans (make sure they are the proper size)
The Day of Move Out:
- On the day your lease expires, return keys and garage door openers, etc. to our oﬃce or place them on the kitchen counter.
- Once we are informed that you have moved out, the move out inspection will be performed within 1-2 business days.
- Garbage/Recycling bins must be empty on day of move out. Make sure all your garbage, water/sewer, and gas bills are paid through the date keys te must be removed, clear of debris, bushes trimmed and grass cut.
How Move Out Charges Are Determined – 4 main categories (Paint / Flooring / Cleaning / Maintenance):
- Move-out inspection by check list, photos or video will document all cleaning, painting, carpet and damage issues found in the unit.
- Items found will be compared with the move-in checklist or photos or videos that was completed at move in.
- You will be responsible for any damages or painting that are not considered normal wear & tear AND are not documented on the move in checklist.
- You will be charged for any cleaning needed that was not documented at move in.
- All deposit refunds will be mailed from our oﬃce no later than 45 days from receipt of all unit keys.
Move Out Charge Disputes:
- If you disagree with a charge, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please indicate exactly what you are disputing
IF YOU REMAIN IN YOUR UNIT FOR ANY REASON BEYOND NOON ON THE DATE YOUR LEASE EXPIRES OR FAIL TO RETURN KEYS BY THE SAME DATE / TIME, YOU WILL BE CHARGED A HOLDOVER FEE EQUAL T RENT FOR EACH DAY IN THE HOLDOVER PERIOD.